The Research Manager leads client teams and is focused on designing research studies, managing project execution, and produce outstanding analysis and deliverables. This role will also supervise, mentor and develop staff. The role offers a strong career path along with a learning environment where you will expand and develop your market research and leadership skills.
Vital Findings is a cutting-edge marketing research company that conducts custom and creative research using both qualitative and quantitative methods. Our staff is a group of highly passionate market researchers who see a world of opportunity in optimizing marketing research, designing research with outside-the-box thinking, and design and visual interpretation of data. The company attracts researchers who have a strong interest in analysis, brainstorming, and storytelling components of research, as well as a mastery and flawless execution of important quality control functions. The company has a reputation for being leaders in information design for market research, frequently speaks at conferences, and has a more creative, collaborative, “storytelling” culture compared to most research firms. Our clients include many verticals and categories of business, including media, apparel, technology, CPG, automotive, and insurance.
Our staff describe our culture as fun and witty, collaborative and creative, and smart and innovative. Learning and development is emphasized and rewarded, especially when it brings about innovation in marketing research methods and approaches. Our staff tend to have an entrepreneurial spirit, enjoy the challenge of breaking ground in new territory, and realize they are part of close-knit team and are not afraid to roll up their sleeves and lend a hand, regardless of level.
There is considerable growth opportunity with this position, as the company is growing quickly and promotes from within.
- Accountable for inspiring and driving the analytic team to tell a clear, impactful story from the data and pushing the research to the next level, either by digging deeper into the data or pursuing advanced analytics.
- Accountable for the overall quality and effectiveness of all client deliverables and interactions
- Integral thought leader in study design and analysis brainstorming meetings with thorough preparation
- Oversee the development of the analytic plan and story outline, providing feedback from the client’s perspective
- Ensure the creation of a compelling report from the analytical framework, answering the client’s research questions with actionable recommendations
- Write and review full report decks, including the executive summary and recommendations
- Create and present compelling presentation decks
Data Relevance & Reliability
Serve as the key check that all projects, questionnaires, and reports created by the project team are designed with the client’s end goals in mind, and that client questions are answered in the final deliverable.
- Oversee the team’s execution of study design and data collection, advising throughout the project life cycle and serving as the final review
- Develop and review questionnaires and discussion guides for appropriate content, flow, and design to ensure high quality and actionable results from the data
- Accountable for collecting data that answers clients’ original objectives
- Read client reports and deliverables to ensure data makes sense as a final check for logic, relevance, and consistency
Client and Team Coordination
Accountable for managing project teams by coordinating resources and talents, applying their own knowledge and experience, and making critical project decisions. Experienced client management skills with a sharp focus on consultation and relationship building.
- Lead study design and proposal development for new clients and projects
- Coordinate the teams' resources to keep the project moving forward and on schedule throughout the lifecycle
- Delegate project tasks and roles at the beginning of a project and hold team members accountable for their responsibilities
- Update client on important research findings and advise on any project improvements/obstacles
- Develop and grow relationships with assigned clients and provide top-notch consultation
- Explain data issues, methodologies, and answer data questions to/for clients
- Propose and present research solutions and findings to clients
- Escalate and obtain direction and/or approval for complex questions and critical project decisions
Managing, Training and Mentoring
Formal direct report management is required, as well as frequent mentoring of junior team members and ad hoc or formal team training.
- Train team members on processes/tasks, as well as analysis and report development/writing
- Provide timely feedback to team members on work output and assess opportunities for training or additional hands-on experience
- Mentor both peers and junior team members to improve their knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Formally manage 2 or more direct reports
Cross Company Initiatives
Personally accountable for leading the company’s mission of pushing the boundaries of traditional market research. Every employee has 1-2 annual cross-company goals.
- Lead training lunch & learn sessions
- Commitment to company goals and leading a team to complete initiatives
- Be a role model and leader in inspiring organizational progression and improvement
- Professionally give and receive feedback from team members
Project Task Activities
Willing and able to pitch in on quality checks anywhere needed, as well as able to perform advanced quality checking tasks. Responsible for supervising and training junior team members on all marketing research foundational skills.
- Segmentation or advanced analytics output review
- Complex data tabulation
- Complex/ custom questionnaire writing
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree
- 5-8 years prior experience in custom consumer marketing research (preferably 4+ years supplier-side), with the proven ability to manage the research lifecycle, from writing questionnaires to managing fieldwork to creating reports
- Insightful individual with a dynamic and positive attitude who demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Creative, self-directed, proactive, and organized individual with a passion for personal growth and learning
- Proficient market research skills complemented with the ability to think at a systemic and critical level at each stage of a market research project
- Ability to interact with clients in a professional and consultative way
- A demonstrated ability to manage the career of direct reports
- A demonstrated ability to successfully lead research project teams
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products
- Understanding and application of statistics
The company offers a wide range of competitive benefits, including health, dental, vision, disability, 401k, and profit sharing. This is a full-time position located at our headquarters in Culver City, California.