Senior Analyst, Research & Design
The Senior Research Analyst is responsible for the coordination and success of the full research project lifecycle, including overall project management, quality control, and storytelling in order to deliver an impactful client report. As a project team leader, the Sr. Analyst will foster peer and junior team members’ growth. In addition, the Sr. Analyst is expected to work closely with the client lead (Manager, Director, VP) to align project goals to overall client goals and team work priorities with overall company resource priorities and support broader company initiatives. This role offers a strong career path along with a learning environment where you will expand and develop your market research and leadership skills.
Vital Findings is a cutting-edge marketing research company that conducts custom and creative research using both qualitative and quantitative methods. Our staff is a group of highly passionate market researchers who see a world of opportunity in optimizing marketing research, designing research with outside-the-box thinking, and design and visual interpretation of data. The company attracts researchers who have a strong interest in analysis, brainstorming, and storytelling components of research, as well as a mastery and flawless execution of important quality control functions. The company has a reputation for being leaders in information design for market research, frequently speaks at conferences, and has a more creative, collaborative, “storytelling” culture compared to most research firms. Our clients include many verticals and categories of business, including media, apparel, technology, CPG, automotive, and insurance.
Our staff describe our culture as fun and witty, collaborative and creative, and smart and innovative. Learning and development is emphasized and rewarded, especially when it brings about innovation in marketing research methods and approaches. Our staff tend to have an entrepreneurial spirit, enjoy the challenge of breaking ground in new territory, and realize they are part of close-knit team and are not afraid to roll up their sleeves and lend a hand, regardless of level.
There is considerable growth opportunity with this position, as the company is growing quickly and promotes from within.
Project & Client Coordination
Accountable for managing company internal resources and external vendors in order to maintain quality and scheduled commitments (i.e. time and budget) of research projects. Entry level client management with primary focus on communication related to a specific project.
- Participate in proposal development and design of the initial methodology
- Coordinate your teams' resources to keep the project moving forward and on schedule throughout the lifecycle
- Lead internal communication regarding project, ensuring alignment between project objectives/overall client objectives and project team resources/overall company resource needs
- Lead and determine goals for project meetings
- Maintain vendor accountability to timelines and budgets
- Create a compelling report from the analytical framework, answering the client’s research questions with actionable recommendations
- Update client on project progress
- Explain data issues, methodologies, and answer data questions to/for clients
- Propose and present research solutions and findings to the client
- Escalate and obtain direction and/or approval for complex questions and critical project decisions
Data Accuracy & Relevance
Accountable for assuring data accuracy and relevance to objectives at every step in the project process to ensure data is both internally consistent and demonstrates face validity.
- Review tabs for consistency and relevance
- Monitor field data for accuracy and validity, troubleshooting and solving issues
- Lead brainstorming sessions to construct analytic framework and design questionnaires that assure information collected is on target with client objectives
Project Tasks Activities
Accountable for personally completing required work tasks such as data analysis, program checking, tab checking, as well as checking project task work of team members when a higher level of expertise is required.
- Write survey questions
- Program checking
- Tab specs
- Tab checking
- Weighting data
- Developing report shells
- Populating reports and checking data
- Proofing internal and external deliverables to assure mistake-free work
Accountable for interpreting the data and creating an initial report design ("story") that addresses the business objectives.
- Review data tables and crosstabs to identify key patterns and trends relevant to the client’s objectives -
- Begin coaching and mentoring junior team members on story development
- Develop the analysis plan
- Communicate with client lead (Manager, Director, VP) to insure alignment between project story and other data presented to client
- Synthesize the story points and be able to create a full research deck
- Responsible for drafting the overall story and ensuring alignment with slide headlines and executive summary
Training and Mentoring
To ensure project success, you are accountable for training your project team to insure they have the specific skills necessary to complete the project. In addition, you are expected to informally mentor both peers and junior team members to improve their knowledge, skills, and abilities. Formal management through direct reporting relationships may also be required.
- Train team members on processes/tasks
- Review team members' work and provide feedback
- Informally mentor both peers and junior team members to improve their knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Formally manage direct reports, as applicable
Cross Company Initiatives
Personally accountable for helping the company accomplish its mission of pushing the boundaries of traditional market research. Every employee has 1-2 annual goals to support or improve stated initiatives.
- Lead and/or participate in training lunch & learn sessions
- Commitment to company goals and leading assigned initiatives
- Carry out administrative tasks and be a role model to other team members
- Professionally give and receive feedback from team members
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree
- 2-5 years prior experience in custom consumer marketing research (preferably 2+ years supplier-side), with the proven ability to manage the research lifecycle, from writing questionnaires to managing fieldwork to creating reports
- Insightful individual with a dynamic and positive attitude who demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Creative, self-directed, proactive, and organized individual with a passion for personal growth and learning
- Proficient market research skills complemented with the ability to think at a systemic and critical level at each stage of a market research project
- Ability to interact with clients in a timely and professional manner
- Superior communication skills
- Ability to take direction from senior management and "run with it"
- A demonstrated ability to manage, mentor, and train others
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products
- Understanding and application of statistics
The company offers a wide range of competitive benefits, including health, dental, vision, disability, 401k, and profit sharing. This is a full-time position located at our headquarters in Culver City, California.