“Walking in the customer’s shoes”
1. Give team members a common consumer objective to accomplish (e.g., shop for a product, sign up for a service, etc.).
2. Ask team members to document their experience ‘as a customer’ with pictures, screenshots, notes, etc. and print the images.
3. In a conference room, have everyone presents his/her experience, taping up images while speaking. As each person presents, ask others to write “key successes” (blue post-its) and “pain points” (red post-its).
4. After each presenter shares, ask team members add their post-its and explain their reasoning.
5. Encourage team members to discuss common themes and record them on a whiteboard. Organize and prioritize themes into research hypotheses, forming the framework for a questionnaire or discussion guide outline.